Sunday, February 15, 2015

The bead lady, hand grenades, and a country singer named Trip



On our way to The Germaine Cazenave Wells Mardi Gras Museum, an elderly woman was sitting on a step asking for money. In exchange for a donation she would give you beads. She was adorable. I pulled out a $10 (yes I know, some people think I’m nuts, don’t really care. No one CHOOSES to beg for a living without a real damn good reason. $10 for me is a drink. $10 for someone else is food for a couple of days.)  I gave her the $10 and she was very thankful. She picked out her biggest and best 3 strands of beads for myself and then gave each of the other three in our group a strand as well. She signed my shirt “the bead lady” and then we hugged. She was a beautiful soul.

It was getting time for all of us to take a bathroom break, so we headed back to Bourbon Street and to Tropical Isle, famous for its Hand Grenade drinks.  First stop, the bathroom (Again – I swear a blog on the bathrooms of New Orleans is coming!), then while the others were taking their turns I headed to the bar to order 4 Hand Grenades. You can’t go to Bourbon Street and not have a Hand Grenade. It’s just wrong. After paying for our drinks, I did what was becoming routine, asked the bartender to sign my shirt. He did, and while we were talking about what was going on, Wendy was behind me talking to a gentleman about what we were doing. 

When I turned around he said, “You have no negativity in you at all.” 

It caught me off guard for a second. It was a wonderful statement to hear. He wished me well, said he knew I was going to come through just find and that my attitude and spirit were both strong. He (and his 3 friends – one a lady who was there celebrating her birthday a little early) signed my shirt, asked to have his picture taken with me and told us to find him on Facebook. He’s a country singer named Trip Richmond. He was also just a sweetheart of a doll. He can sing too.  

Find him here on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/countrymusictrip


After we left Trip and his friends, we made it to the museum that is located above Arnaud’s. It took a little finding as it does not have its entrance or anything. We got directions from an employee we ran into on the street, so we headed into Remoulade Oyster Bar and one of the employees there told us how to get up to it.




 We were given 10 minutes as a private party was coming into the dining room of Arnaud’s, and we had to go through there to get to the museum. Once up the stairs and walking around the small room, the hand grenades seemed to hit us all at once, and buzzed was the consensus. The gowns and other outfits showcased in this museum were exquisite and we commented on how heavy they must have been to wear, particularly those with their elaborate trains hung on the walls behind them. They were beautiful though, and made my desire to spend a couple of weeks in New Orleans for more of the Mardi Gras experience grow.

Next stop: The Riverfront walk

No comments:

Post a Comment