Friday, January 22, 2016

Updates and trying to accept disfigurement… (Picture in this post)




This week I saw my original surgeon, Dr. Schwabb. Unfortunately, he informed me he is moving to Madison. So that really sucks. Out of all the doctor’s I’ve had to deal with it, he’s been my favorite by far. Definitely seemed to be the most concerned about what has been going on. 

They did my mammogram on the right breast, which came back normal.

He recommended that I speak with the plastic surgeon, Dr. Bushnick about going through hyperbaric chamber treatment.  My Primary, Dr. Bellucci-Jackson had wanted me to do it back in December, but said I needed permission from my infection disease doctor, Dr. Hafiz (he said yes) and Bushnick (who said no). Schwabb explained that the shrinkage and twisting is due to a lack of oxygen getting to the tissue and fat cells due to poor circulation in the breast. Partially due to the infection, partially due to the radiation and partially due to they have no clue why.

Yesterday, I saw my radiation oncologist who basically said the exact same thing regarding the hyperbaric chamber treatments. He believes that all of this is also due in part to the auto immune issue he investigated earlier. Though he did all kinds of testing, and came up with all of the signs of an auto immune disease, he could not discover it being any known auto immune disease.

Not only did he recommend the chamber, he also believes that I will have to have a mastectomy at some point. However, doing a mastectomy right now, there is no guarantee that I won’t have the same healing issues and infection problems that I have been dealing with since September’s surgery. He is looking into University of Chicago and Northwestern to see if he can find someone who can try to figure out this tissue issue. 

While everyone wants to blame the radiation, he points out that there were problems before the radiation even began, including the cancer and the first infection. He admits that the radiation didn’t help the situation and that I appear to be highly sensitive to radiation – probably due to the unknown auto immune issue.  Without more information, they basically would want to wait about 2 years before doing any surgery to try to fix the breast and then there still wouldn’t be any guarantee that another infection wouldn’t occur.
So until it can either be fixed or removed there is the disfigurement to deal with. It hurts, and it hurts bad. Most of the time my left arm cannot be lifted over my head. It’s now locking up both my shoulder and my neck besides. The hyperbaric chamber should help with that and will need to be followed up with massive physical therapy. 

Other than the physical pain, there are the emotional side effects. My left breast is now about half the size of the right one and much higher and tighter, making me the most lopsided I have been since this whole ordeal began. Only one hole has closed so far, though two of the others are getting much closer. Not only is dealing with all of this exhausting, I don’t sleep very well anymore, and looking into the mirror usually ends with at least some crying. Not only are there still holes, it’s twisted and indented, and parts of it are still hard as a rock. 

It’s hard for people to picture, much less understand, what exactly it’s doing, so here’s the latest picture (graphic editing provided by my son). Parts of it look better than it did, but the shrinking and twisting just continue to get worse, and I'm told that without the hyperbaric treatment, it can get worse than this.






 It does get downright depressing trying to deal with this, not only because it won’t go away, but because so far, nobody has been able to say 100% what the hell the issue is. It’s hard to deal with something when you don’t even know exactly what it is you are dealing with. 

On Monday, I start my Cancer Transitions support group, so hoping that will help with learning to cope with some of this. This crap has been going on for a year now. I need my life back. I need to get back to work and my parents need me to get back to being able to help them out. I didn’t plan on having to add in 2 months of 5 hour days to sit in a tube and probably freak out since I’m claustrophobic anyway. 

So that's where things are at right now. Next Thursday I find out if I am done with the antibiotics or not and hopefully I will get off the PICC line, though there is no guarantee that is going to happen. On Friday I meet with Bushnick and see what he has to say about everything including the hyperbaric treatment. More updates will come then.

Btw....the 25 pounds I lost while on the antibiotics that killed my appetite? Yeah, unfortunately that all came back.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment