Wednesday, January 27, 2016

To Hyperbaric or not?




I had my appointment yesterday at the Wound and Hyberbaric Center. Things started off with literally an hour of questions (after I filled out the paperwork) while they entered info into the computer. This was followed by a cleaning of the wound, some lidocaine and eventual a gauze pad made of silver. They put in an order to have those gauze pads shipped to me as they are supposed to be changed every 2 days. 

This morning the company they ordered from called and said that the insurance denied it since they are out of network. I called back the Center, they had me call the insurance company. The woman with broken English sent me a list of suppliers that are in network – for home medical supplies not for wound care supplies. I don’t need a wheelchair. The Center is now trying to work with the insurance to find a provider that is in network and actually has what I need.

Back to the capsule of hell. 

After getting me all set, even more paperwork, and the scheduling of 3 tests I have to do next week – chest xray, EEG, and PFT (tests lung function) they walked me over to the room where the capsules are. I watched a brief video where people said the enjoyed their treatments and found them relaxing. Then the technician started going over all of the do’s and don’ts with me and frankly he freaked me out even more.
I had posted a picture on Facebook, that I realized wasn’t quite accurate. That one shows the bed to be much lower, like lying in the bottom of the chamber. That isn’t how it is. This picture is a better representation. The bed is up high enough that I needed the step stool to get into it. I asked how close my face was to the top because I thought maybe I was just seeing it as being too close. No such luck, face is only 6 inches away from the cover.






Due to the possibilities of fires, which could then lead to an explosion there are only 5 things that you weren’t born with that are allowed into the chamber.
1          1)      your cotton gown
2          2)      depends underwear
3          3)      a plastic water bottle
4          4)      an air mask
5          5)      a band on your wrist that stops static 

Absolutely nothing else. No make up, NO hair products – this includes conditioner and there are only 2 approved shampoos: Johnson’s Baby Shampoo and Head and Shoulders. No conditioner is allowed. (which means my hair would need to be cut because trying to get anything through it without a conditioner is damn difficult as it is. Two months of that?  It would be far easier to cut it short.  There are only 2 approved soaps: Ivory or Dial Gold. 

My nose ring which I have tried removing several dozen times over the past few years just so I could change it out, would have to be cut off.

Due to my claustrophobia they would want me on Xanax, which they then won’t allow me to drive. Which honestly is silly because they aren’t going to give me a high enough does to either effect my driving nor make me comfortable into the tube. Because they won’t let me drive, they want me to take the van back and forth which then instead of it being a 4 – 5 hour day it would be more like an 8 hour day. 

All of these above things are going to be problems when I go back to work in a month. 

The claustrophobia is a HUGE issue for me. We tried a “dry run” yesterday.  Within 5 seconds I was begging him to pull me out. I tried going back in again with my eyes closed. it was a little better, but not good enough, especially if I opened my eyes in there. I’m also told it can get warm in there. Just the thought makes me feel like being cooked alive.

I came home last night and took 2 Xanax. When Mike came home and talked to me about it 2 hours later, I still got pretty upset and that’s just talking about it.

So besides all of the above, there are also side effects of course. These range from muscle twitching, to seizures, to a dropped lung to accidental explosion due to the oxygen levels. 

The beneficial side, there is an 80% chance I will improve at least somewhat. Not that I will improve 80%, but improve at all. There is a 20% chance it won’t do any good at all. 

There is also the time factor. While doing all of this, I’m also supposed to have time for physical therapy, work, and I need to start helping out with my parents again as they are both in worsening conditions and the in home care will soon have them through their savings. I need to step back up and start doing my fair share again. 

So Thursday I see my infectious disease doc and find out if I can quit with the antibiotics and remove the PICC line. I’m also seeing my acupuncturist so I can see if we can work something out there as well. Friday I see my plastic surgeon and I’ll be asking about a prosthesis and about the physical therapy. 

If nothing else works I can always go back and try the chamber again. I just don't think all of this is worth it when it's still going to have to come off in about 2 years.

Oh and last night? Yeah, woke up from a nightmare that I was trapped inside and trying to claw my way out….Not a good sign if you ask me.

1 comment:

  1. I also forgot, they said it would probably mess up my eyesight for several months. That's nice.

    ReplyDelete