Monday, March 2, 2015

Kerri 1 - Cancer 0



So surgery is over, the first battle down.


I got my results from the genetic testing and I am, believe it or not, NEGATIVE for mutations. At least negative on the mutations they tested for. This is good news as far as reoccurrence goes along with good news for Krystle and Kahlen (and well everyone in my family really). What it doesn’t do though is tell us where it came from and why. I’m still younger than average for breast cancer.

I saw the surgeon today and what he said was the LARGEST of the tumors was 2 mm invasive (growing out of the duct). There were also SEVERAL other smaller ones, hence taking an area the size of an orange. My records also indicate it’s a partial mastectomy (instead of a lumpectomy) because “underneath” the tumor he went as low as the lining between the breast tissue and my chest muscle.  So um….yeah.

Had this gone undetected longer than it did, there would have been some serious issues. So even though I’m pretty sure Taylor doesn’t think he probably saved my life by bugging me to get caught up on my mammogram, I think he did, and will always be grateful for having him in my life. 

I also got to have my L-Dex done today – this is a small test where they check the flow of fluid through your body so they can make sure lymphedema doesn’t kick in.

I got my medical oncologist appointment for Friday. The radiation oncologist’s office has to call me back tomorrow to set up my appointment there and I should be starting radiation in 3- 5 weeks. So next week I’m going to go back to work and we will take it from there. 

Oh…. And it’s confirmed I don’t need chemo, so no one can yell at me since I wasn’t going to do it anyway.
I also started looking into some of the “perks” offered to those who get this wonderful disease…I can take a few yoga classes a week (one with my caregiver), a water fitness class (also with my caregiver) along with a monthly drumming group, a creative expressions group and a few other things that sounded interesting to me. And the best part – all free. So yes I might as well take advantage of the good things while I can.

3 comments:

  1. I'm just glad its been positive news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is good news Kerri. And I love your sense of style ;) Yes, those classes sound very beneficial. Go for whatever gusto you can get luv

    ReplyDelete