Monday, March 9, 2015

Fatigue, impatience, and a whole lot of luck




Last Friday, I saw the medical oncologist, who again confirmed no chemotherapy. As he put it, I had little cancers, just a lot of them.  

For those who have asked, I was stage 1. You don’t find out the stage until after the pathology report comes back after surgery (unless it is already known the cancer has spread to other locations from its point of origin).

In two months I will go back to the medical oncologist to start my 5 year regimen of endocrine therapy --- hormone blocker medications. 

This morning I went in for my simulation for radiation. I was told that because there was cancer in one of my nodes (and it was packed in – not something that was stirred up from the biopsy) my radiation will treat my breast and the lymph node area above it. 

I got several little “tattoos” so when I go in for the actual therapy they can line me up correctly. My radiation treatments will take place Monday – Friday at 2:30 for at least 6 weeks starting on March 16th.

I have been wanting to start my yoga and water fitness classes, but so far the fatigue has really been kicking my ass while my body mends. I’m adding in a vitamin B complex and getting back into my vegetable juicing to try to help combat some of that. Right now it is difficult to make it through a day without a nap.



I do go back to work on March 18th, so looking forward to that. Getting out of the house will most likely do me a ton of good.

I’m still bruised and battered and six weeks of radiation therapy that is supposed to tire me out even more and leave me a bit on the crispy side is not appealing, but I’m glad to get it started so I can hurry up and get it over with. 

Above everything, I’m thankful. This could have been so much worse. The cancer could have been larger. It could have spread further. I was extremely lucky that it was caught when it was, and often it doesn’t seem real. I’m not usually that lucky, so I still feel like I’m waiting for another bomb to drop. I’m hoping it doesn’t, but the anxiety is definitely there.

6 comments:

  1. Yay! All good news, except for your napping. Now shut down the house and GO TO BED! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are no more bombs , nada, zilch ! So glad to hear Stage 1, thank God for that. And no chemo !
    But wow, every day radiation? I didn't realize it would be daily. That is huge for people who have to work to live or don't drive. Bless your heart !
    Do you have any idea what to expect? Does it hurt? I am so glad you have a great support group honey.
    6 weeks , we will mark the calendars ! xoxoox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing for more good news and good healing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have it marked out on my calendar too!
    Yes radiation treatments are 5 days a week, I'm lucky I have a great boss (shhhhh don't tell him) and a ton of support from the people at work. What really bothers me is I'm actually the last patient of the day. which I find horrible. They KNOW that cancer is time consuming, expensive and makes people's lives more difficult, so they have shortened treatment hours?? I would think they would run 2 shifts and go to 8 or 9 at night! The side effects are burned skin, like a severe sunburn. both on the front and the back since it goes all the way through the body. I was told my appointments would be about 15 minutes. the actual time under the radiation is less than 5 minutes. just a bunch of hassle. And thank you April and Lupa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Less than 5 min, that is amazing in itself. Will you feel nausea or hair loss or is that just with chemo? And hopefully they will have special creams for your burns :((

    ReplyDelete
  6. No nausea, and the only place you lose hair with radiation treatment is where you get the treatment and the treatment is really precise. And yes you do get special cream... I've been told it's really expensive, but it's prescription so at least I won't have to pay the full price for it.

    ReplyDelete